Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Natalie

I wrapped my long black trench coat around me and threw my scarf over my shoulder. I waved goodbye to my mother and father as they drove away. With a sigh, I turned toward my new apartment, brass key in hand. I walked up the two flights of stairs and twisted the key in the door. My parents had spent the morning helping me settle in to my new home, and then we ate dinner at a local diner before they departed to go back to Forks.



I smiled again at the plate of homemade chocolate chip cookies my new roommate had left on the small kitchen counter. Make yourself at home, Renesmee. I'll be working until around 8:30. I can't wait to see you! Natalie. I placed the note, written in slightly sloppy scrawl, back down on the counter and helped myself to a cookie. I was only slightly nervous about meeting Natalie face to face. I'd talk to her many times on the phone and online, but I was slightly anxious about being in the presence of a human so frequently, especially one I didn't know well.



Still chewing the cookie, I walked into my bedroom. I took in my surroundings, shaking my head and laughing to myself. Esme, Alice, and Rose had bought me a beautiful new white four poster bed and a pretty purple and green bedding set. I sat down on the edge of the bed. The room wasn't large, so it took up the majority of the space, but there was a small desk with a lamp and chair. I had set up my laptop on this table. I smiled up at the bulletin board, filled with pics of my parents, family, and Jacob, that was hanging on the walls above my desk. They had really thought of everything. I even had a chair in the other corner of my room in which I had propped my guitar. That would be my favorite part of the room. There was also a small dresser (I opened the drawers to reveal a load of cosmetic and hair products. Alice.) and a mirror.



I lied down on the bed, sinking into the plush pillow top mattress. I was exhausted. The entire day had been, go go go. My parents may not get tired, but I certainly did. I closed my eyes and hugged up to a pillow.



"Renesmee? Are you here?"



I opened my eyes, pulling my cell phone from my pocket. It was 8:20, and I'd been asleep for over two hours. I rubbed my eyes and walked into the small living room. Standing in the door was my new roommate, Natalie. She was slightly taller than me, with long dark brown hair and hazel eyes. I smiled at her. It was nice to put a face with a name and voice.



"Natalie!" I walked up to her and hugged her. "It's so nice to meet you finally."



She returned my smile. "It's nice to meet you, too." She stepped back and stared at me. "Wow, you're so pretty. I love your hair." She spoke with a very slight southern accent which I hadn't noticed when we'd spoken on the phone.



I felt my face flush slightly. "Thank you." I ran my hair through my curls. "It can be annoying at times."



"Ugh. I look rough," she said with a laugh, motioning to her outfit - a long sleeved black top and matching black slacks. "Since it's a Saturday, I pulled a double at the coffee shop."

I nodded. She was actually quite pretty, for a human. Her greenish brown eyes sparkled. "I had a long day, too. I nodded off for just a little while," I told her.

Natalie pulled her hair down from its pony tail, shaking it loose, and a delicious aroma wafted through the room. My mouth watered instinctively. "I'm sure you did." She sat down on the small sofa in the living room and motioned for me to join her. "Did your parents leave already?"

I nodded. "They did. They didn't want to be rude, but it's a long drive back to Forks." And there's just no way to explain to you how they are really my parents, when they don't look that much older than me, I thought.

"Oh, I completely understand. Forks sounds like it's a lovely place. You grew up there, right?"

"Yeah. I've lived there my whole life. I can't wait to get out and about here in Portland."

"I know how you feel. When I first moved here last year, I was so excited. I grew up in a small town outside of Mobile, Alabama. My parents thought I was crazy when I told them I wanted to move all the way out here." She laughed.

"I know what you mean. My parents weren't too keen on the idea either, even though it wasn't such a long distance for me. Don't you get really homesick?"

She shrugged. "I do. Mostly, I miss the beach." She smiled. "My parents used to always say that my eyes are the color of the ocean. Well, the Gulf of Mexico, anyway." She had a distant look in her eyes. "I love going to the beach out here when I can, but there's just something about the warm, humid Gulf breeze." She laughed.

"I'd love to visit one day." I paused, not sure how much information to disclose to my new friend. "My Aunt Alice is from Biloxi, Mississippi, originally, and I've always been kind of curious about the south."

"Well, apparently you're not alone. The guys around here seem to love my accent, anyway. We should go out tomorrow night. I can introduce you to some friends." She paused. "Oh, wait. I forgot. You have a boyfriend back home, right?"

"It's complicated. I do have a guy that I'm more than friends with, but... I just feel like things are moving a little too quickly. I want to be open to whatever happens here in the city. If it's meant to be, he and I will end up together."

Natalie laughed. "That's the spirit! You are going to love Portland."

I smiled at her. I was so excited to start this new chapter in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment