Sunday, October 24, 2010

Imprint

I stared up from my steaming cup of coffee and out the window. My first day of class was over. I had English composition and although I got a little lost on campus, I really felt as though I was going to enjoy school. I had talked to a few students. Truthfully, it made me a little nervous, as if they could just look at me and tell that there was something different about me. Don't be ridiculous, I told myself. I was just a normal college student. A normal, six year old, half vampire college student. I sipped my cappuccino and tapped my fingers on the table. I stared down at them. I'd painted my nails a pretty cobalt blue, but now they were chewed down very short. I had been a little anxious this morning and now I was trying to wind down at the coffee shop near my new apartment, the one where Natalie worked.

After I became bored people watching, I pulled out my cell phone. I miss you. I tapped out the message on my phone and hit send.

About thirty seconds later, my phone rang. "Hello?"

"I just wanted to hear your sweet voice," he said with a laugh. "How was your first class?"

"Enlightening." I smiled. "What's been going on back home?"

"Same old, same old." Jake laughed. "OK, I lied. A new guy came to town. His name is Derek. He's taking quite a... liking to Leah." He started laughing louder, as if I was missing some inside joke.

"Uh... OK. What am I missing?" My finger tapping increased. Leah was the only female member of the wolf pack and hadn't yet imprinted on anyone, as Jacob had on me, and some of the other members had with other girls in the area. Some people wondered if she ever would imprint, or if this was strictly a male thing.

"He's been following her around everywhere. He's from the Makah rez, and a lot of the guys think that he's actually imprinted on Leah. He can't seem to leave her side. She's flattered, of course, but a bit overwhelmed." He snorted. "At least we don't have to hear her thinking about Sam as much." Her former boyfriend, Sam Uley, had imprinted on her cousin, Emily, and broke her heart. Sam hadn't meant to hurt her, but it had been very difficult for the pack, since they could hear each other's thoughts while in wolf form. Sam and Emily had wed last year.

"Wow. I thought only members of your pack could imprint." That was interesting.

"Who knows? I just hope that Leah can be happy one day, whether there's anything supernatural involved or not." He paused. "As happy as we are."

I smiled. Jake did make me happy. For my whole life, he'd always been there for me. There was no denying that there was an attraction. He was my best friend. I was still undecided about where our future was headed, but he was definitely very close to my heart. Maybe I was looking at this the wrong way. Jake had no doubts about me - I am his imprint. I felt guilty about having doubts myself. "Me too," I simply said. "Leah deserves happiness after everything she's been through." So do you, I thought guiltily. I was glad that we weren't talking in person.

"Oh, no doubt," he agreed. "Derek has definitely been showering her with attention. He has brought her flowers every day since he met her, which has only been three days, but still." He laughed again. "I'm sorry. I'm rambling. It just seems so weird, not having you here."

"I know." I wrapped my hands around my warm mug of coffee. "I do miss you. I like it here a lot, though. My roommate is really cool. I think you'd like her."

"Maybe I can come down this weekend."

"Maybe."

We chatted for a few minutes, then I let him go. I wanted to go back to my apartment and review some of the material that I'd gotten in class that day. I walked out of the coffee shop, the cold air hitting me in the face when I walked out. I wandered down the sidewalk and walked a few blocks. The city was bustling with lunchtime foot traffic. I walked past a small diner with a help wanted sign in it. Hmmm. I had thought about getting a job in the city, not that I needed the money. Coming from an affluent family, I'd never had to think about getting a job. My parents had sent me off with enough money for me to cover school expenses, groceries, and other necessities. But it wasn't MY money. I'd love to work, get more of the life experience I'd craved when I left Forks. I stared at the sign for a moment. Maybe, if it's still there tomorrow. I whirled around to leave and walked right into someone.

"Oh, pardon me," I mumbled, blushing. I looked up and stared into the face of my victim. He was almost as pale as me, with ice blue eyes and pale blonde hair which was spiked in every direction. He looked like he was in his early to mid twenties. I suddenly found myself blushing for a completely different reason.

"No worries." He laughed, staring at me for a moment. I closed my eyes, trying not to focus on his warm, appealing scent and accompanying bright smile at me. His perfectly white teeth.

I stared back down at the sidewalk and walked away as quickly as I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment