Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Bloodlust

I stared into the ice blue eyes from across the crowded coffee shop. He drew me in like a magnet. Suddenly, I was right next to him. His scent.... I stood up on my toes and brushed my mouth against his neck. Something instinctual kicked in, something buried from a long time ago.... I sank my teeth into his neck, warm blood flowing from his jugular. It was the sweetest thing I'd ever tasted. He stared back at me, shocked. The beautiful blue eyes suddenly morphed into a bright, burning red. No, I thought. This isn't right!! I'm not supposed to be venomous. What's going on? The eyes became deeper and deeper red. His skin and hair darkened, but the eyes remained blood red. I stumbled several feet back and suddenly found myself staring into the face of Jacob Black.


"What's wrong?" Natalie stumbled into my room, rubbing her eyes. My screams must have woken her up. "Why were you screaming bloody murder?"

My eyes adjusted to the darkness of the room. Her shape was outlined in the doorway by the light in the living room. "Uh.... I had a nightmare. A really bad one."

She flipped on my lamp and sat on the edge of my bed. "What was it about? Sometimes talking about it helps."

I chewed on my bottom lip nervously. "I dreamed that my best friend was murdered." Close enough. That's all the information that I was going to supply at this time.

She hugged me. "Oh, Nessie, that's terrible. I'm so sorry. It was just a dream, though."

I nodded. "I'll be OK. It was just a dream. I'm going to go back to sleep now."

"Do you need anything? I'm about to go back to bed if not. I have an 8:00 AM class."

I shook my head. "I'm just going to try to go back to sleep now." She nodded and left my room. I pulled the covers over my head and prayed for a dreamless sleep.



"Are you guys still hiring?" A tall dark haired lady looked up from the register at the diner in which I'd seen the help wanted sign the day before. She eyed me critically, looking me up and down.

"The sign's still on the door, isn't in?" she said with an edge in her voice. I sighed. "Let me go get the manager." She turned around and went through the kitchen door. A moment later a short, pudgy man walked up to the counter.

"Can I help you?" he asked.

"Yes. I was interested in the server position."

He stared at me for a moment, looking me up and down. I self consciously tugged the front of my shirt up just a bit, realizing it was a tad low cut. "I have plenty of experience cooking and serving others. I come from a large family..."

"You're hired. You can start tonight." He leaned behined the counter and tossed me an apron. This took me by surprise. Didn't he want to interview me? He smirked at me. I couldn't help but notice that he was staring at my chest. "Come back at six for the evening shift, sweetheart. Don't be late." My fingers brushed across his hand as he gave me some paper work to fill out. I felt the pulse in his finger tips.

Don't call me sweetheart. THAT may be something you'd live to regret. I gasped as I realized the violent nature of my thoughts. I was NOT a violent person and couldn't believe what had just popped in my mind.

"Uh...I'm sorry if that sounded forward." He had a look of absolute shock and terror in his eyes, and then he stared down at the ground. "I really appreciate you helping us out. We'll get you trained and ready to go this evening. By the way, what's your name?"

"Renesmee Cullen." I swallowed hard. I think that I was still touching his hand when that dark thought crossed my mind. Oops. I had to be more careful. "You can just call me Nessie."

He smirked again, but then look like he had second thoughts about his reaction. He quickly took on a professional expression. "My name is Jack. I'll see you later tonight, Nessie."

No comments:

Post a Comment